May 30, 2008
AND WHY RAIN BARRELS AND METAL ROOFS ARE A GOOD COMBINATION
Rain barrels have been used for thousands of years to naturally harvest the rain for a variety of uses. Today, with tight water restrictions and the general public increasingly concerned about our impact on the environment, rain barrels are making a comeback. Here are the simple facts about how rain barrels can help you save money and the environment at the same time.
- 1” of rain on a 1,000 square foot roof yields over 600 gallons of water
- Rain water is naturally soft water, devoid of harmful chemicals, making it perfect for use on your lawn and garden
- Up to 40% of summer water use is for irrigation — if you can reduce the amount of city water you use on your lawn, you can significantly reduce your water bill
- Rain barrels can help control the amount of polluted runoff from your home, thereby reducing the pollution in local lakes
- Rain water you collect can also be used for drinking if it is filtered through a proper filtration system
- Rain barrels are easy to install—simply place them under a downspout and you’re set!
- For more information, visit www.rainbarrelguide.com
Luxury metal roofing for residential homes is also on the rise due to their energy efficient qualities. They are a great combination with rain harvesting systems, and here’s why.
- Metal roofs are impermeable, allowing all of the rain water to run off rather than be absorbed
- Metal roofs have smooth surfaces, making them easy to rid of potential contaminants with the first rainfall before the water is stored for use
- In sunny areas, such as ours, the heat given off by metal roofing warms the rainwater, making it even easier to clear the roof of harmful materials
- In areas that are affected by severe weather, rain water can be used when city sources are knocked out or contaminated—metal roofs also hold up better in severe weather
- If the area is ever affected by fire, the stored water can be pumped through the downspouts, creating a shield of water to protect the home
- For more information, visit www.rainharvesting.com
Check out Southern Metal Roofing’s current offer for a FREE rain barrel with a qualified purchase at www.usgreen.com/rainbarrel